If you think Saint costumes are boring, think again! Check out these gory, gruesome, and horrifying costumes that will have your friends talking all night long. It’s an interesting way to evangelize, but it just might work.
- Saint Ursula – The princess saint who was shot by an arrow while on a holy pilgrimage with 11,000 companions.
2. Saint Lucy – Known for her purity, St. Lucy stood strong for the faith. Legend says that her eyes were removed when Roman authorities sought to humiliate her.
3. Saint Sebastian – The Roman emperor sought to kill St. Sebastian because of his Christian beliefs. He was tied to a tree and shot with multiple arrows, but that did not kill him. He eventually was beaten to death.
4. Saint Bartholomew – Best known as one of Jesus’ apostles, St. Bartholomew is often portrayed holding his own skin. This is because he was martyred for the faith by flaying (his skin was removed before dying).
5. A Few Of The Many Saints Who Were Beheaded
St. John the Baptist
What started off as lighthearted article on Halloween costumes, quickly became a very somber exercise in learning about the tortures that many have endured for the Christian faith. I encourage you to read more about these inspiring, yet heartbreaking stories of heroes who stood strong in the face of immense persecution.
If you choose to dress up as one of these holy men or women for Halloween, be sure that you also choose to share their stories with all who will listen. Encourage your friends to offer their prayers for the martyrs of yesterday and those who are being persecuted for their Christian beliefs today.
Almighty, everlasting God, look with compassion on all those who suffer persecution for justice’ sake. Grant them grace to carry their cross with patience in the name of Thy beloved Son, our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Let the chalice pass from them is such by Thy holy Will: yet, in all things, may Thy Will be done. Grant to those who persecute, light to see the truth, and the grace of mercy and forgiveness, for they know not what they do. Mary, Mother of Jesus, Comfort of the Afflicted, help thy children in their time of bitter trial. O Lord our God, by the sign of Thy holy cross deliver us from our enemies. – Cardinal Godfrey