Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write it on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the devotion or pray a personal one. August is devoted to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Immaculate Mary Catholic Hymn
The Immaculate Heart of Mary is surrounded by a saintly glow. Her heart is crowned with flowers, pierced with a sword, and has the Holy Spirit’s fire flowing out of it. It is certainly full of grace, purity, and carries the sorrows of Christ’s Passion.
We sin because we love something, at least temporarily, more than we love God. This month it’s time to ask Mary’s intercession for a pure heart. Just like Mary was a tabernacle, sacred and pure, for Our Lord Jesus Christ, we are called to be temples of the Holy Spirit.
Mary, Immaculately Conceived, was pure and saw God Incarnate. As Matthew 5:8 tells us, the pure in heart will see God. I would even say that we can see God in others who are pure in heart.
Draw her heart on your calendar and anywhere else to remind you of this month’s goal: a pure heart!
Reflection Questions for August
1. If an artist were to draw your heart, what symbols would they include?
2. What areas in your heart need our Mother’s help to mend?
3. Who do you know who reminds you of Mother Mary’s love?
4. Whose pain pierces your heart?
5. Do you have a heart like Christ?
August Catholic Challenges
1. Spend time drawing your heart and include the symbols that you want to be represented.
2. Attend Mass on at least one of the August feast days!
3. Receive Holy Communion on August 15th, the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
4. Most importantly, go to confession and confess anything and everything impure in your heart.
August Catholic Feast Days
Enjoy this podcast:
St. Alphonsus Liguori: The Myth, the Man, the Legend with Fr. Conrad Murphy
August 4: St. John Vianney
August 5: Feast of Our Lady of the Snows
August 6: Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord
August 8: Feast of St. Dominic
More on St. Edith Stein in this podcast!
August 10: Feast of St. Lawrence (deacon and martyr)
August 12: Feast of St. Clare
August 14: Feast of St. Maximilian Kolbe
August 20: Feast of St. Bernard
August 21: Feast of St. Pius X
August 22: Memorial of Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary
August 23: Feast of St. Rose of Lima
August 24: Feast of St. Bartholomew
August 25: Feast of St. Louis of France
August 27: Feast of St. Monica
August 28: Feast of St. Augustine
August 29: Memorial of the Passion of St. John the Baptist
Catholic Books To Read In August
*Amazon Affiliate links help the ministry of Catholic-Link at no additional cost to you! Thank you!