2024 Holy Days Of Obligation In The United States
The Holy Days of Obligation within the universal Catholic Church are the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints. However, in the United States, the bishops, with the prior approval of the Apostolic See, have suppressed some of the holy days of obligation or transferred them to a Sunday.
* In 2024, The Solemnity of Mary, the Mother of God, falls on a Monday. Because of this, the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated this year. The Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception (December 8) falls on a Sunday in 2024, so it is transferred to Monday, December 9, and the obligation to attend Mass is abrogated.
Holy Days 2024
January 1 | Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
May 9 or May 12 | The Ascension of Jesus
August 15 | The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
November 1 | All Saints’ Day
December 9 | The Immaculate Conception (not obligated to attend Mass)
December 25 | Christmas
Other Important Days In The Catholic Church For 2024
- December 3, 2023 | First Sunday of Advent (beginning of a new liturgical year)
- December 30, 2023 | Feast of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph
- January 6, 2024 |The Epiphany of the Lord
- January 8, 2024 | Baptism of Our Lord
- February 14, 2024 | Ash Wednesday
- March 19, 2024 | Feast of St. Joseph
- March 24, 2024 | Palm Sunday
- March 28, 2024 | Holy Thursday
- March 29, 2024 | Good Friday
- March 30, 2024 |Holy Saturday
- March 31, 2024 | Easter Sunday
- April 7, 2024 | Divine Mercy Sunday
- April 8, 2024 | Annunciation of Our Lord (moved from March 25 due to Holy Week)
- May 19, 2024 | Pentecost Sunday
- May 26, 2024 | The Most Holy Trinity
- May 30, 2024 | Corpus Christi (celebrated June 2)
- June 7, 2024 | The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
- June 24, 2024 | The Nativity of St. John the Baptist
- June 29, 2024 | Saints Peter and Paul
- November 2, 2024 | All Souls’ Day
- November 24, 2024 |Feast of Christ the King (end of the liturgical year)
- December 1, 2024 | First Sunday of Advent
- December 29, 2024 | Feast of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph
Why Isn’t Easter A Holy Day Of Obligation?
Easter ALWAYS falls on a Sunday. Every Sunday is a Holy Day of Obligation! So, although not listed, Easter is a Holy Day of Obligation!
Looking for 2023 Holy Days? Find them HERE!