Each time I hear the phrase “Holy Day of Obligation,” I cringe just a little. Not because I don’t want to go to Mass. Just the opposite. The Mass is such a gift that I hate to hear it referred to as an obligation. I’m sure that, in our Church’s tradition, there’s a wonderful reasoning behind the very wording that rankles me (as with every other minor detail I once found troublesome, there is always a beauty and truth I just did not see at first), but I think it is sometimes in the way people say “obligation” that makes it sound like such an awful duty.
Let us begin to change the way we think and what we say about the gift of the Mass. No more, “I have to go to Mass today.” Let’s begin to say, “I get to go to Mass today!”
How much do you know about Holy Days of Obligation?
Try out our quiz to see and let us know your result in the comments.
Is it a mortal sin to miss mass on a Holy Day? (Quiz)
Use this quiz in your apostolate or classroom:
All Catholic-Link.org resources are free to use and distribute (please give us the credit and share about our website!). You may print the questions in the quiz and distribute them or have the members of your group take the quiz on phones, iPods, or laptops. The Holy Days of Obligation quiz would add excitement to any class learning about our faith.
“It would be easier for the world to survive without the sun than to do without Holy Mass.” – St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina
- Is Hell For Real?Related content: Do Our Souls Go Straight To Heaven Or Hell When We Die? Death, Judgment, Heaven & Hell: How Not To Ignore The Inevitable Who Goes to Heaven and Who Goes to Hell? St. Athenagora’s (177 A.D.) Did Early Christians Believe in Hell? St. Justin Martyr Responds The Rich Man, Lazarus, And The Hell […]
- Litany Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother Of LifeThe demands on the lives of couples who practice natural family planning can seem very overwhelming at times. Every Catholic couple who is serious enough about their love for our Lord to follow the Church’s teaching on contraception understands this intimately. The roller coaster ride that NFP can be for some couples can create stress, […]
- 6 Social Graces Every Modern Gentleman Should KnowIdeals of gentlemanly behavior have undergone quite a revival lately – in articles, videos, and guidebooks, which continue to issue forth from the presses and Internet. Much of the advice is obvious. A gentleman should be respectful and courteous but also strong. He should know the basics of proper grooming, dress, table manners, and behavior […]
- What Is The Second Vatican Council? And, Why Did It Create Controversy?A New Ecumenical Council On January 25, 1959, Pope St. John XXIII took the world by surprise by calling a new ecumenical council of the universal Church. We now know this council as the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II), so called because it was held in Vatican City. An ecumenical council can be called and […]
- What Most People Don’t Understand About The Last RitesRelated content: What Is The Anointing Of The Sick? 4 Videos To Help Understand This Sacrament These 4 Videos About Death Will Help You Understand that Life is Short Why Won’t The Church Allow For Gluten-Free Hosts? Don’t They Care About People With Celiac’s? 15 Things People Who Don’t Understand Catholicism Love To Say What’s […]