Each time I hear the phrase “Holy Day of Obligation,” I cringe just a little. Not because I don’t want to go to Mass. Just the opposite. The Mass is such a gift that I hate to hear it referred to as an obligation. I’m sure that, in our Church’s tradition, there’s a wonderful reasoning behind the very wording that rankles me (as with every other minor detail I once found troublesome, there is always a beauty and truth I just did not see at first), but I think it is sometimes in the way people say “obligation” that makes it sound like such an awful duty.
Let us begin to change the way we think and what we say about the gift of the Mass. No more, “I have to go to Mass today.” Let’s begin to say, “I get to go to Mass today!”
How much do you know about Holy Days of Obligation?
Try out our quiz to see and let us know your result in the comments.
Is it a mortal sin to miss mass on a Holy Day? (Quiz)
Use this quiz in your apostolate or classroom:
All Catholic-Link.org resources are free to use and distribute (please give us the credit and share about our website!). You may print the questions in the quiz and distribute them or have the members of your group take the quiz on phones, iPods, or laptops. The Holy Days of Obligation quiz would add excitement to any class learning about our faith.
“It would be easier for the world to survive without the sun than to do without Holy Mass.” – St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina
- August Is Devoted To The Immaculate Heart Of Mary | Mark Your Calendar!Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write it on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the […]
- 4 Reasons Not To Give Up On NFP When It Gets HardLet’s face it. As wonderful as the idea of Natural Family Planning (NFP) can sound, the reality for many couples can be far from that beautiful ideal. A common thread amongst frustrated couples trudging their way through the trenches of NFP is that the reality of following the Church teaching against contraception can be far […]
- 4 Olympic Athletes Who Ask The Blessed Mother For HelpBy now, you’ve probably been drawn into the competition, the passion, and the excitement of the Summer Olympics taking place in Toyko. The athletes are an inspiration to all as they give everything they have to the sport that they have spent many hours perfecting. Most of these men and women depend on trainers, coaches, […]
- 3 Ways To Grow In Chastity Before MarriageChaste dating is no walk in the park, but it is possible. We’ve been in relationships in the past that were unchaste and ended very badly. When we started courting, we didn’t want to repeat the same habits from our past relationships, so we had to do things differently. But even so, this was not […]
- 5 Women Saints Who Define True BeautyWomen are constantly bombarded with the culture’s ideas of beauty, but what if we chose to learn from the saints instead? Click the links below to dig deeper into the stories of these women saints and discover true beauty and goodness. 5 Saints Who Demonstrate True Beauty 1. St. Brigid of Kildare – “When she […]