What is Apologetics? Are we apologizing for being Catholic? Are we sorry about the Faith? No way! Apologetics comes from the Greek word apologia meaning a “defense.” In his first letter, Peter says, “… Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you a reason for you hope (1 Pt 3:15).” Apologetics is not about being defensive or apologizing, it is about breathing hope into the world through solid reasoning and Faith.
Apologetics is a theological science which explains and defends the Christian religion. Catholic Apologetics, specifically, is the defense and explanation of the teachings, beliefs, and practices of the Catholic Church. It seeks to remove objects, shed light on difficult matters, and help plant the seeds to win hearts and minds for Jesus. It is about answering the question: “why am I Catholic? Or “why should I become Catholic?”
Apologetics is at the service of Christ who is the Truth and it is aimed at the conversion of hearts to Him. It is partially catechesis, teaching, evangelization, sharing of hope, witnessing, illumination, and tearing down the obstacles in people’s minds and hearts.
This course was designed and presented by Will Wright, writer for Catholic-Link English who works full-time as the Director of Catechesis and Evangelization for Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Sun City West, AZ. The video below is the first of nineteen sessions. Please click subscribe on Our Lady of Lourdes YouTube channel to continue to receive content and the new sessions as they become available.
Apologetics Course Session 1 of 19
© 2018 Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Parish
- What is apologetics?
- Who does apologetics?
- What should apologetics do?
- What can apologetics not do?
- Is there any conflict between Faith and Reason?
- Beginning Apologetics Super Set – https://amzn.to/2RTaFg2
- Fides et Ratio by Pope John Paul II – https://amzn.to/2q06cvu
- Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft and Ronald Keith Tacelli – https://amzn.to/2pZ0vhp
- Why We’re Catholic by Trent Horn – https://amzn.to/2ClnjiJ
- The Case for Catholicism by Trent Horn – https://amzn.to/2J966KR