It seems like a simple enough question, but when we ask ourselves “who am I” we are often caught off guard and have a difficult time pinpointing an answer.
Why is that? In a world where we are constantly searching for ways to identify ourselves, we are still thrown off by this simple inquiry; however, it does force us to consider what truly defines us.
Cleon Alleyne poses this question in this video and methodically addresses what race through our mind when we contemplate who we are. His ultimate goal though is to help us realize that our true identity is in Christ.
All throughout our lives, we are given labels from the time we are young and then it continues on from there. Whether we are students, graduates, teachers, businessmen, athletes, performers, conservatives, liberals – and the list could go on and on – we have all these identifiers that change as we live our lives. They reflect our occupations or our viewpoints but then it just stops there.
There seems to be no depth to it! In the video, however, it says “How I identify myself determines how I approach life.” The issue with labeling ourselves solely with whatever we are at in a specific time in our life is that we were not made for this world; our ultimate goal is to be united with God eternally in heaven. So if we then identify ourselves as children of God, which is our true identity, we are acknowledging what we were created for and can approach life with the vantage point of knowing that we all are destined for something greater. We may have a specific occupation, but ultimately our identity lies within doing the will of our Father.
- August Is Devoted To The Immaculate Heart Of Mary | Mark Your Calendar!Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write it on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the […]
- 4 Reasons Not To Give Up On NFP When It Gets HardLet’s face it. As wonderful as the idea of Natural Family Planning (NFP) can sound, the reality for many couples can be far from that beautiful ideal. A common thread amongst frustrated couples trudging their way through the trenches of NFP is that the reality of following the Church teaching against contraception can be far […]
- 4 Olympic Athletes Who Ask The Blessed Mother For HelpBy now, you’ve probably been drawn into the competition, the passion, and the excitement of the Summer Olympics taking place in Toyko. The athletes are an inspiration to all as they give everything they have to the sport that they have spent many hours perfecting. Most of these men and women depend on trainers, coaches, […]
- 3 Ways To Grow In Chastity Before MarriageChaste dating is no walk in the park, but it is possible. We’ve been in relationships in the past that were unchaste and ended very badly. When we started courting, we didn’t want to repeat the same habits from our past relationships, so we had to do things differently. But even so, this was not […]
- 5 Women Saints Who Define True BeautyWomen are constantly bombarded with the culture’s ideas of beauty, but what if we chose to learn from the saints instead? Click the links below to dig deeper into the stories of these women saints and discover true beauty and goodness. 5 Saints Who Demonstrate True Beauty 1. St. Brigid of Kildare – “When she […]