It seems like a simple enough question, but when we ask ourselves “who am I” we are often caught off guard and have a difficult time pinpointing an answer.
Why is that? In a world where we are constantly searching for ways to identify ourselves, we are still thrown off by this simple inquiry; however, it does force us to consider what truly defines us.
Cleon Alleyne poses this question in this video and methodically addresses what race through our mind when we contemplate who we are. His ultimate goal though is to help us realize that our true identity is in Christ.
All throughout our lives, we are given labels from the time we are young and then it continues on from there. Whether we are students, graduates, teachers, businessmen, athletes, performers, conservatives, liberals – and the list could go on and on – we have all these identifiers that change as we live our lives. They reflect our occupations or our viewpoints but then it just stops there.
There seems to be no depth to it! In the video, however, it says “How I identify myself determines how I approach life.” The issue with labeling ourselves solely with whatever we are at in a specific time in our life is that we were not made for this world; our ultimate goal is to be united with God eternally in heaven. So if we then identify ourselves as children of God, which is our true identity, we are acknowledging what we were created for and can approach life with the vantage point of knowing that we all are destined for something greater. We may have a specific occupation, but ultimately our identity lies within doing the will of our Father.
- 3 Powerful Weapons Your Family Needs To Slay DragonsRelated content: “Get Clean” A Powerful Video about the Sacrament of Confession Pope Francis’ Powerful Response To A Young Boy’s Question: “Is My Atheist Father In Heaven?” 10 Weapons You Need To Win The Battle For Purity 10 Best Quotes About Family Life From The Popes Pope Francis Minute: “The Recipe for a Happy Family” […]
- 8 Things A Priest Can Do To Support A Couple Experiencing MiscarriageRelated content: 8 Points on How to Live the Experience of Miscarriage No One Talks About Miscarriage, But We Could What You Shouldn’t Say When A Friend Miscarries…And What You Should 5 Things to Remember About Pregnancy and Infant Loss Healing After A Miscarriage 10 Ways To Help A Grieving Mom Through Pregnancy Loss 4 […]
- Is Hell For Real?Related content: Do Our Souls Go Straight To Heaven Or Hell When We Die? Death, Judgment, Heaven & Hell: How Not To Ignore The Inevitable Who Goes to Heaven and Who Goes to Hell? St. Athenagora’s (177 A.D.) Did Early Christians Believe in Hell? St. Justin Martyr Responds The Rich Man, Lazarus, And The Hell […]
- Litany Of The Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother Of LifeThe demands on the lives of couples who practice natural family planning can seem very overwhelming at times. Every Catholic couple who is serious enough about their love for our Lord to follow the Church’s teaching on contraception understands this intimately. The roller coaster ride that NFP can be for some couples can create stress, […]
- 6 Social Graces Every Modern Gentleman Should KnowIdeals of gentlemanly behavior have undergone quite a revival lately – in articles, videos, and guidebooks, which continue to issue forth from the presses and Internet. Much of the advice is obvious. A gentleman should be respectful and courteous but also strong. He should know the basics of proper grooming, dress, table manners, and behavior […]