A few days ago I finished reading “Inner Peace” by Jacques Philippe. It is a brief spiritual book written in a simple language and filled with beautiful teachings about cultivating spiritual peace in our Christian life. The book goes over several actions and situations concerning ourselves or others that make us lose our inner peace: for example when we lose peace because we do not accept our past or because we don’t like the way we are or the way others are etc. It also offers reflections and practical advice to maintain peace in various situations.
Among the different pieces of advice I found particularly compelling and useful, those of a certain theme stood out: The problem of lost inner peace due to our own sins. Who hasn’t experienced this? When we sin we feel guilty for our actions and that is something healthy; however, it is not infrequent that the feeling of guilt transforms into remorse and anxiety that have little or nothing to do with the merciful God whom we believe in. For this reason I would like to go over 11 of the various suggestions that the book offers in facing our own sins as God commands.
If you would like to buy the book, you may find here (affiliate link): Searching for and Maintaining Peace: A Small Treatise on Peace of Heart
(Make sure you click on the arrows next to the numbers to vote for your favorites!)
- Can Married People Become Saints?Recently I read an account of a martyr who was not an ordained religious. The author began the reflection by saying that this saint helps us to keep in mind that sainthood is possible in all states of life. While this statement is true and supplies hope and encouragement for those of us who aren’t […]
- How God Worked Through My Battle Against COVIDHow many of the people that you know, who contracted COVID, are grateful that they got it? I know of no one, other than myself. I contracted COVID-19 and went on an intense and crazy journey. Watch this video interview of my discussion with Drew and Katie Taylor to hear more details. All Alone When […]
- 9 Catholic Books That Dads Will LoveLooking for a great gift for Dad? How about a Catholic book that he is sure to love! Here are our suggestions. 9 Catholic Books For Dads Our Not-Quite-Holy Family: A Practical Guide for Catholic Parents BeDADitudes: 8 Ways to Be an Awesome Dad Man to Man Dad to Dad A Father’s Heart: Rosary Meditations […]
- St. Anthony – More Than A Patron Saint Of Lost Car KeysWho is Saint Anthony? Many of us know he is the patron Saint of lost things but often that’s all we know. He is a doctor of the Church, Saint of miracles, and much more! Saint Anthony, is one of the Doctors of the Church, and there are many prayers to St Anthony. Why do […]
- Why Don’t I Ever Get Enough Sleep?As someone who usually has trouble falling asleep at night, I often wake up thinking “I didn’t get enough sleep.” A great attitude for the start of the day, right? This idea of lack directly results from the Fall in the Garden of Eden. God created in the beginning. He created man and woman, giving […]