My happiness is seeing you happy. There is nothing that my heart longs for, more than the sentinel longs for the morning light, than to see you smile. This is the fundamental truth that flows in the veins of everything that is good and Christian. It is a truth that God himself has revealed and lived in
This is the fundamental truth that flows in the veins of everything that is good and Christian. It is a truth that God himself has revealed and lived in the first person.
So many human realities have been underrated, if not outright attacked, when this truth is ignored or denied. How many young men and women these days, for example, look at marriage and family life as something miserable, almost a sort of second level living in which fun, adventure, and happiness are dimmed to a dull glow for the rest of their lives. True happiness, they say, comes in the form of success, traveling, fleeting moments of adrenaline. Waking up next to the same person day after day, cleaning, working, and serving, that is not a life worth living.
Yet, as I grow, more and more of my friends are getting married and it is impressive to see the changes. The sense of adventure and happiness isn’t dimmed, it is rather interiorized, consolidated, and lived on a deeper level. The heartbeat on a roller coaster may be higher than that of a father soothing his baby to sleep, but I can tell you that he has experienced a happiness that he wouldn’t trade for the whole world. It isn’t poetry, it isn’t rhetoric.
It is anthropology. Man’s heart was made not only for self-sustainment but also for self-donation. In giving we receive, in giving we live, in loving we experience love in a way that leaves us smiling for eternity.
- 2nd Sunday Of Advent: The Purpose Of Fasting And SacrificeGospel of Matthew 9:35-10 Jesus went around to all the towns and villages,teaching in their synagogues,proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom,and curing every disease and illness. At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for thembecause they were troubled and abandoned,like sheep without a shepherd.Then he said to his disciples,“The harvest is […]
- How To Pray Without Ceasing In The Midst Of ChaosThe Bible says to pray without ceasing, yet how many of us go hours without so much as giving a thought to prayer? In today’s world, it is hard for us to even fathom how it could be possible for us to follow this command. Saint Basil tells us how: “This is how you Pray […]
- How Are Catholics Portrayed In “The Wonder” On Netflix?The Emma Donoghue novel The Wonder is the inspiration behind Netflix’s recent release of the same name. Set in 1962, on the heels of the Irish Famine, a young girl named Anna has drawn the attention of the town and other devoted miracle seekers. From her 13th birthday to the opening scenes of the film, Anna had gone 3 […]
- Why Are Saturdays Devoted To The Blessed Mother?In the third apparition at Fatima, the Blessed Mother told the little seers that, to save souls and avert war, she came to request not just the praying of the Rosary and consecration to her Immaculate Heart, but a “Communion of reparation” on the first Saturdays of the month. In 1925, in a later vision […]
- Movie Review: I Heard The BellsChurch bells will soon be summoning worshippers on Christmas Eve and Day. All types of believers will fill church pews for one of the holiest days of the Christian year. Some will be regulars, others occasional, and some will be those who attend only on Christmas and Easter. Each believer will bring their own unique experiences and past […]