My happiness is seeing you happy. There is nothing that my heart longs for, more than the sentinel longs for the morning light, than to see you smile. This is the fundamental truth that flows in the veins of everything that is good and Christian. It is a truth that God himself has revealed and lived in
This is the fundamental truth that flows in the veins of everything that is good and Christian. It is a truth that God himself has revealed and lived in the first person.
So many human realities have been underrated, if not outright attacked, when this truth is ignored or denied. How many young men and women these days, for example, look at marriage and family life as something miserable, almost a sort of second level living in which fun, adventure, and happiness are dimmed to a dull glow for the rest of their lives. True happiness, they say, comes in the form of success, traveling, fleeting moments of adrenaline. Waking up next to the same person day after day, cleaning, working, and serving, that is not a life worth living.
Yet, as I grow, more and more of my friends are getting married and it is impressive to see the changes. The sense of adventure and happiness isn’t dimmed, it is rather interiorized, consolidated, and lived on a deeper level. The heartbeat on a roller coaster may be higher than that of a father soothing his baby to sleep, but I can tell you that he has experienced a happiness that he wouldn’t trade for the whole world. It isn’t poetry, it isn’t rhetoric.
It is anthropology. Man’s heart was made not only for self-sustainment but also for self-donation. In giving we receive, in giving we live, in loving we experience love in a way that leaves us smiling for eternity.
- What Does Being Open To Life Really Mean?Open to life. We’ve all heard it, and for the most part, think we know what it means. For those who are outside the Church, or perhaps those Catholics who have done little more than get their feet wet in this beautiful thing we call Catholicism, the idea of being “open to life” sounds suffocating – […]
- Jesus, The Master Psychologist: Unworthy Of Self-Worth?So you also, when you have done all that is commanded you, say, “We are unworthy servants.” — Luke 17:10 What grade would Jesus receive in a college counseling class today? Would He even pass? To counsel someone to call himself an “unworthy servant” would be asking for an F, as it would collide headlong […]
- August Is Devoted To The Immaculate Heart Of Mary | Mark Your Calendar!Did you know that each month has a traditional Catholic devotion? This year, let’s focus on each devotion month-by-month to grow in our faith and traditions! Make yourself notes, write it on your calendar, and pray a specific prayer each day of the month to remember. You could use a prayer already associated with the […]
- 4 Reasons Not To Give Up On NFP When It Gets HardLet’s face it. As wonderful as the idea of Natural Family Planning (NFP) can sound, the reality for many couples can be far from that beautiful ideal. A common thread amongst frustrated couples trudging their way through the trenches of NFP is that the reality of following the Church teaching against contraception can be far […]
- 4 Olympic Athletes Who Ask The Blessed Mother For HelpBy now, you’ve probably been drawn into the competition, the passion, and the excitement of the Summer Olympics taking place in Toyko. The athletes are an inspiration to all as they give everything they have to the sport that they have spent many hours perfecting. Most of these men and women depend on trainers, coaches, […]