St. John Bosco’s Spiritual Goals For A New Year
1. I will take no unnecessary walks.
2. I will make exactingly careful use of my time.
3. When the salvation of souls is at stake, I will be always ready to suffer, to act and to humble myself.
4. May the charity and gentleness of St Francis de Sales, inform my every action.
5. I will always be content with the food set before me, unless it is really harmful to my health.
6. I will always add water to my wine and drink it only for reasons of health, that is, on such days ain such measure as health requires.
7. Since work is a powerful weapon against the enemies of my salvation, I will take only five hours sleep a night. During the day, especially after dinner, I will take no rest, except in case of illness.
8. Every day, I will devote some time to meditation and spiritual reading. During the day, I will make a short visit, or at any rate a prayer, to the Blessed Sacrament. My preparation for Mass, shall last at least a quarter of an hour and so shall my thanksgiving.
9. Outside the confessional and save in cases of strict necessity, I will never stop to talk with women.