Do teens understand what Confirmation is all about? We pray that all those receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation are being prepared to experience the fullness of the Holy Spirit and the gifts that He has to offer them. The resources we have today will help you understand the importance of this Sacrament.
What is Confirmation? What is a Saint? Are there Saints in the world today? Why does the Church make Saints? At Confirmation who did you pick as your Saint name?
The following short film was produced by Sophia SketchPad. Check out the many resources they have on the Sacraments.
The 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit found in Isaiah 11:2-3
1. Wisdom – “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” James 3:17
2. Understanding – “Understanding is the reward of faith. Therefore, seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand.” – St. Augustine of Hippo
3. Knowledge – “The gift of knowledge puts us in tune with God’s gaze on things and on people…” – Pope Francis
4. Counsel – “Let us employ the gift of reason for actions of prudence. Let us learn now abstinence from what is wicked, that we may not be forced to learn in the future. Let us employ life as a training school for what is good; and let us be roused to the hatred of sin. Let us bear about a deep love for the Creator; let us cleave to Him with our whole heart; let us not wickedly waste the substance of reason, like the prodigal.” – St. Clement of Alexandria
5. Fortitude – “Though the path is plain and smooth for men of good will, he who walks it will not travel far, and will do so only with difficulty, if he does not have good feet: that is, courage and a persevering spirit.” – St. John of the Cross
6. Piety- “Be brave and try to detach your heart from worldly things. Do your utmost to banish darkness from your mind and come to understand what true, selfless piety is. Through confession, endeavor to purify your heart of anything which may still taint it. Enliven your faith, which is essential to understand and achieve piety.” – St. John Bosco
7. Fear of the Lord – “We must fear God out of love, not love Him out of fear.” – St. Francis de Sales
Another wonderful resource to learn more about the Sacrament of Confirmation is Tweeting with God. This book is written in the form of tweets – making it easy to read and understand. We highly recommend checking it out. (It would also make a wonderful Confirmation gift!)