If you’ve not yet had the opportunity to watch PRAY: The Story of Patrick Peyton, I highly encourage you to make the time to see this inspiring documentary. Before watching this film I, sadly, had never heard of Fr. Peyton. I had no idea of the incredibly innovative ways he used media to spread devotion to the Holy Rosary and family prayer just decades ago. If you’ve ever heard the phrase, “The family that prays together stays together,” you can thank Fr. Peyton.
There were a few things that really stood out to me about the work of the Irish priest ordained in 1941 who spread devotion to rosary across the world.
- Fr. Peyton launched a radio show on the largest radio network in America (at the time) in which he invited Hollywood stars to pray the rosary with him. His first guest was Bing Crosby. He went on to have Jimmy Stewart, Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Shirley Temple, and many more on the show to pray a rosary.
- In 1947, Fr. Peyton founded Family Theater Productions and then produced over 600 Catholic radio and television shows featuring many of Hollywood’s most beloved stars.
- In 1961, Fr. Patrick Peyton’s Family Rosary Crusade drew over 500,000 people to San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park to pray the rosary together. He continued to travel around the world hosting 540 Rosary Rallies that brought millions of people together to pray.
PRAY: The Story Of Patrick Peyton
3 Things I Learned From PRAY: The Story Of Patrick Peyton
- Believe in your belief in God.
- We can all give ten to twenty minutes out of the twenty-four hours God has given us to pray a rosary!
- Never underestimate the power of media to evangelize.
I won’t explain these lessons further because you need to see this documentary for yourself! I learned so much from watching Fr. Peyton’s story unfold and I don’t want to spoil the entire film for you.
You can watch PRAY: The Story of Patrick Peyton at home digitally through iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play. The official movie website also has information on how to arrange for a showing in your parish or at a group event. Visit HERE to get started.
Join Us On Facebook 2/9 at 5:30 p.m. PT / 8:30 p.m ET for a behind the scenes look at the new Oscar-qualifying movie about Father Patrick Peyton AND to launch the #LoveToPray giveaway extravaganza!
Fr. Peyton’s Cause For Sainthood
On December 17, 2017, Pope Francis
promulgated the decree recognizing the heroic virtues
of Father Patrick Peyton, a priest of the Congregation
of Holy Cross, thus recognizing him as Venerable by
the Roman Catholic Church.
More Rosary Resources
*Amazon Affiliate links help the ministry of Catholic-Link.org at no additional cost to you. Thank you!