Everyone loves a good movie. And the best ones are the ones that you learn from, even when you don’t realise it. Have you ever seen a movie that just stays with you for days after?
You might not be able to put your finger on what it was, but something about the movie, the emotions it stirred up inside you, the energy it creates, changes you in some way. It doesn’t matter that the movie isn’t overtly Christian, it still reveals a truth of life to you, and you can’t forget it.
With this in mind, we’re sharing our top * movie quotes, and their clips or trailers, from secular movies that we think every Catholic should appreciate. We’d love it, too, if you could share “the movie that changed your life” in the comments below!
17 Movie Quotes Catholics Will Appreciate
1. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – Moulin Rouge
2. “Don’t tell me I can’t do it; don’t tell me it can’t be done!” –The Aviator
3. “You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to.” – Good Will Hunting
4. “Only if you find peace within yourself will you find true connection with others.“ – Before Sunrise
5. “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” – It’s a Wonderful Life
6. “You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. ‘Have you found joy in your life?’ ‘Has your life brought joy to others?’” – The Bucket List
7. “What are we holding onto, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.” – The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
8. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it.” –The Lion King
9. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
10. “You’re mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”– Alice in Wonderland
11. “Carpe, carpe. Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.” – Dead Poets Society
12. “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want.” – 10 Things I Hate About You
13. “Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It’s not about winning. It’s about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didn’t let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasn’t one more thing you could’ve done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman you’re perfect!”– Friday Night Lights
14. “Even a good decision if made for the wrong reasons can be a bad decision” – Pirates of the Caribbean
15. “There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for? What is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.” – Don Juan DeMarco
16. “Write. In my religion, we’re taught that every living thing, every leaf, every bird, is only alive because it contains the secret word for life. That’s the only difference between us and a lump of clay. A word. Words are life.” – The Book Thief
17. “That’s the thing about pain, it demands to be felt”. – The Fault in Our Stars