Every person who has an encounter with the Risen Jesus is changed. The accounts in the New Testament show the many different emotions and responses people experienced when they saw Jesus alive after they had witnessed His death on a cross and burial just three days prior. Can you imagine what that might feel like?
Well, the good news is, we can do more than imagine. We can experience the Risen Jesus in our own lives. It is not a thing of the past. As Catholics, most of us were baptized in Christ as infants, but most likely you can recall a time in your own life when Jesus became “alive” to you. Perhaps it was on a retreat or during the Sacrament of Confirmation, but the time and the place don’t matter as much as the change that it caused in your life.
Just as in Biblical times, when people of our generation experience Christ it results in different emotions and responses. None of these reactions is “right” or more correct than another. Which of the following 13 things have you experienced in knowing Jesus?
13 Things that Might Happen to You When You Encounter the Risen Jesus (According to Scripture)
- Great joy and amazement (Matthew 28:8; Luke 24:41)
- Obedience to God’s Word (Matthew 28:16)
- Fear (Mark 16:8)
- A desire to Worship and Praise God(Matthew 28:17; Luke 24:53)
- A willingness to look foolish for the sake of the Gospel message (Luke 24:11)
- Doubt (Matthew 28:17; John 20:24-29)
- Your heart may burn within you. (Luke 24:32)
- You may feel a need to hold on to Jesus (John 20:17)
- A new understanding of the Bible (Luke 24:45)
- A need to tell others about Christ’s love, power, and saving grace (Mark 16: 15-18; Acts 1:8)
- The desire to spend a lot of time in the Church with God (Luke 24:53)
- A deeper devotion to prayer (Acts 1:14)
- Belief, Faith, and Hope in Jesus (John 20:31)