The University of St. Thomas-Houston MAX Studios, in partnership with the Word on Fire Institute, launched an innovative video series to demonstrate how to bring the light of the Gospel to the digital world. Harnessing the expertise of major Catholic influencers who evangelize effectively on social media platforms, each episode of the series, The New Evangelization and New Media, spotlights today’s most interesting and compelling Catholic influencers to share their experiences with technology and media to get to the heart of our culture and reach their specific audience.
The New Evangelization And New Media Video
What Is Twitch?
EPISODE THREE – JONATHAN BLEVINS EXPLORES TWITCH
In Episode 3 of The New Evangelization and New Media video series, the Twitch platform is broken down from someone who knows it well – Jonathan Blevins, better known as Bearded Blevins. Jonathan Blevins is a Catholic husband and father of three. He began live streaming his favorite video game, Fortnite, in 2018. He founded the Bearded Blevins Stream Team to take his Twitch channel full time with the mission to build a positive community. He is also the founder and CEO of Little Flower Media Company. He is the first partnered streamer to be sponsored by a university (University of St. Thomas-Houston), and he is in the top 1 percent of streamers with 44,000 followers on Twitch.
“It’s incredible what God can do on this platform.” – Jonathan Belvins
Takeaways and Reflection
- Twitch is a live streaming platform for more than just video games.
- The community is more important than the content you produce.
- Use your hobbies to facilitate pre-evangelization.
- What do you have that is unique about you that you can offer the world?
- Think about how you can manage your reactions to when trolls come into your community on Twitch and/or on social media. How would you react? What are some ways Jonathan manages this, and what can you learn from what he does?
- What value might you find in having a team to help you strengthen your community and growth digitally?
For more behind-the-scenes content of Jonathan, visit https://ustmaxstudios.com/the-new-evangelization-new-media/twitch/.