There is no denying that this election has most Catholics perplexed. Neither candidate is an ideal choice to lead the people of the United States of America and despicable behavior has been displayed by both sides. It is difficult to envision our Nation in the hands of Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump.
What is a Catholic to do? How do we vote? Which issues are most important to the Catholic Church and to you personally?
We’ve designed a 16 question quiz to help guide you in your decision-making process for this unprecedented election.
We have several resources that we highly recommend for your continued research.
- Catholic Answers Voter’s Guide for Serious Catholics
- Sex Family and the Liberty of the Church by Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M. Cap
- Did you know there’s a third party based on Catholic teaching?
- Vote as a Catholic with a Catholic Moral Vision by Monsignor Charles Pope
- Forming Consciences For Faithful Citizenship from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
- Bishop Conley: You actually don’t have to vote for either
- Election Novena from Priests for Life
Ultimately, we must remember that we do not place our hope and faith in political candidates, we place our hope in the Lord and we shall not fear. Continue to fast and pray that the American people would be led by the Lord when they cast their ballot on Election Day.
Do not put your trust in princes, in mortals, in whom there is no help. When their breath departs, they return to the earth; on that very day their plans perish.
Happy are those whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord their God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; who keeps faith forever; who executes justice for the oppressed; who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the strangers; he upholds the orphan and the widow, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
The Lord will reign forever, your God, O Zion, for all generations. Praise the Lord!
– Psalm 146: 3-10