A young woman, a senior in high school, has become a mother. Rumors take flight; whispers abound. Loving, generous, humble… these precious words fail to appear on the tongues of many when speaking of this woman, as young as she is remarkable. Yes, this is a lesson in true beauty.
Is it invisible?
No, by no means. It is, however, above all, interior and manifests itself in only special moments: in a smile for another.
Forged in the fire of self-sacrifice, her heart was one disposed to welcome that of another. Perhaps she wasn’t looking for greatness, yet perhaps true greatness is knowing how to welcome what comes along with a generous and warm heart, more than something that we ourselves plan and aspire for. Maybe a key to greatness is learning to live according to plan that is not necessarily our own, perhaps God has different plans for our greatness?
What I find fascinating in this video are the aspects of beauty and happiness that seem to come alive in this “ordinary” woman in such an extraordinary way. It is in her love for her child, her love that arises and overflows as it gives life to a radiant smile.
You see, beauty doesn’t come from makeup, from photoshop, not even from genes (beauty in the deepest sense). It comes from a heart that has discovered its joy in the beauty of another. It is the beauty that not only shines but also changes; it transforms the world. It is the beauty of men and women and all those who have found their treasure in serving and giving themselves to others (see Mt 6:21).
Questions for Dialogue:
How would you react if you were in her situation? Do you too fall into making judgments without knowing the full story?
How do you conceive beauty and happiness? Where do you seek beauty and happiness in your life? Are you able to perceive the authentic beauty in a generous life, dedicated to others? Do you live in such a way?
My Beautiful Woman By Wacoal Thailand
- How To Forgive The Person Who Hurt YouForgiveness is so hard, but why? Often, the desire for an eye for an eye overwhelms us, we want the person who hurt us to receive justice and be held accountable. But does holding on to the hurt and anger in fact accomplish our desire for justice? Again and again, I see that when I […]
- The Sacramental World Of Christmas SymbolsOn a December afternoon I watched one-year-old grandson Ronan-the-Barbarian crawl around the Christmas tree. He would stop, reach out his arm and dip his fist into the water in the tree stand. And then he would bless himself, tap, tap, tap in his baby way. At his eye level, it was not unlike a holy […]
- The Wonderful World Of Benjamin Cello: An Innovative Show For Catholic Children“Christ is risen from the dead! Trampling down death by death! And upon those in the tombs bestowing life!” So sings my little niece as she scampers across the backyard, her two lungs bursting at a reckless volume. To see children singing is one of my favorite moments as an educator and entertainer. Her inspiration […]
- 4 Reasons Authentic Catholic Healthcare Matters (And How To Find It!)In 2018, Greg and Dr. Kathleen Berchelmann sold their house and farm in Saint Louis, moved to Connecticut with their 7 children, and with the support of the Catholic Medical Association started-the not-for-profit MyCatholicDoctor Foundation – a virtual hospital that is pro-life and pro eternal life, the only nationwide faithful Catholic telehealth service. Who We […]
- 3 Pitfalls To Avoid While Practicing Natural Family PlanningRelated content: The Sweet And Sour Of NFP (Natural Family Planning) Looking for a Way to Explain Natural Family Planning? 5 (Short) Videos to Help! What Practicing NFP is Like: One Man Shares His Thoughts 4 Reasons Not To Give Up On NFP When It Gets Hard What Does Being Open To Life Really Mean? […]