What do you need to know about the Feast of the Annunciation on March 25, 2022?
5 Things To Know About Feast Of The Annunciation
- It’s not a Holy Day of Obligation in the United States.
- The Pope will be consecrating Russia and Ukraine to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Watch the livestream here.
- You can eat meat! Rejoice on this Feast Day!
- You don’t need to observe your Lenten fasts and disciplines. Catholics know how to party when the time is right!
- The Feast of the Annunciation of Our Lord commemorates the visit of the archangel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary, during which he informed her that she would be the mother of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Gospel Reading For The Feast Of The Annunciation Of Our Lord
The angel Gabriel was sent from GodLuke 1:26-38
to a town of Galilee called Nazareth,
to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph,
of the house of David,
and the virgin’s name was Mary.
And coming to her, he said,
“Hail, full of grace! The Lord is with you.”
But she was greatly troubled at what was said
and pondered what sort of greeting this might be.
Then the angel said to her,
“Do not be afraid, Mary,
for you have found favor with God.
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son,
and you shall name him Jesus.
He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High,
and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,
and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever,
and of his Kingdom there will be no end.”
But Mary said to the angel,
“How can this be,
since I have no relations with a man?”
And the angel said to her in reply,
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.
Therefore the child to be born
will be called holy, the Son of God.
And behold, Elizabeth, your relative,
has also conceived a son in her old age,
and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren;
for nothing will be impossible for God.”
Mary said, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.
May it be done to me according to your word.”
Then the angel departed from her.